Aryan Khan, son of Shahrukh Khan has been under custody for 3 Weeks hours after raids on a cruise ship party by the Narcotics Control Bureau.
After 3 Weeks and many requests the 23 year old has been granted bail today on 28th October by the Bombay High Court. Aryan Khan, who has been in Mumbai’s Arthur Road jail since October 8, had been denied bail twice before.
His lawyers had repeatedly pointed out that no drugs had been found on him. The NCB, however, argued that he was part of a conspiracy and that his WhatsApp chats revealed his involvement in illicit drug dealings.
Aryan Khan’s friend Arbaaz Merchant, and model Munmum Dhamecha, were also granted bail. Aryan Khan’s arrest and denial of bail had sparked a debate over whether it was justified, given there was no evidence of consumption or recovery of drugs in his case.
Aryan Khan’s defence team included former Attorney General of India, Mukul Rohatgi, who argued his case before the Bombay High Court. Mr. Rohatgi said his arrest was a direct infringement of his constitutional guarantees and that he was never given any reason for his custody.
ALSO READ: Aryan Khan Drug Case: Prabhakar Sail Alleges Corruption Charges against KP Gosavi and Sameer Wankhede
He also told the court that the case against him was built entirely on two-year-old WhatsApp chats that were “irrelevant” and had nothing to do with the cruise.
“These are young boys. They can be sent to rehab and they need not undergo trial. It had come in some newspaper that the social ministry was mentioning about reform. If you possess and consume a small quantity and are willing to go to rehab, you are not liable for prosecution,” Mr Rohatgi said in court.