It is believed to be the booster for the Chang’e 5-T1, which was launched back in 2014 as part of the lunar exploration programme of China space agency.
China has categorically denied responsibility on February 21 for a rocket that is all set to crash into the Moon, after experts suggested that the debris most likely originated from Beijing’s lunar exploration programme.
Initially, astronomers were of the view that the wayward object was a chunk of a SpaceX rocket that blasted off seven years ago and was abandoned in space after completing its mission.
But it is now believed to be the booster for the Chang’e 5-T1, which was launched back in 2014 as part of the lunar exploration programme of the Chinese space agency. It is expected that the rocket will slam into the far side of the moon on March 4.
However, China’s foreign ministry went into denial mode and vehemently refuted the allegations levelled against them. Beijing said the booster in question had safely entered the Earth’s atmosphere and was completely incinerated.
Spokesman Wang Wenbin, while addressing a regular press briefing, said that Beijing conscientiously upholds the long-term sustainability of activities in outer space. China intends to become a space superpower and Beijing took a massive leap towards achieving their goal last year with the launch of the longest crewed mission to their new space station.
Currently, the Chinese are lagging behind in the space sector and are playing catch up with the Americans and the Russians. Washington DC and Moscow still dominate this industry and are a step above everyone else.