Project Management has now become everyday action point for almost all organizations. Whether you are an entrepreneur or employed in a small or large organization, you can hardly become successful in your career without project management skills. A project management designation after your name speaks a lot about your commitment towards success. Employers value certified practitioners who can handle projects well and thus drive growth of their organizations.
Organizations can bring strategic or incremental changes by deploying right projects. Construction and IT businesses use contemporary project management tools. Governments and non-profit organizations throughout the world are involved in large scale and developmental projects.
Evidently, project management certifications have become important feature of successful professionals. Project management certifications are often associated with increased salary or accelerated growth in career. For job-seekers and fresh graduates, the importance of project management credential is no less! In this article, we will briefly outline the entry requirements of top 5 project management certifications that you can consider for your career success.
1. PMP – PROJECT MANAGEMENT PROFESSIONAL
PMP certification from Project Management Institute (PMI) is undeniably the most popular project management credential. There are two entry routes. You can sit for the PMP exam, if you meet any one of the following two entry routes:
Entry Route A with secondary degree
· A secondary degree (high school diploma, associate’s degree or global equivalent)
· 7,500 hours leading and directing projects
· 35 hours of project management education
Entry Route B with degree
· Four-year degree
· 4,500 hours leading and directing projects
· 35 hours of project management education
Details about PMP can be found in PMI website: https://www.pmi.org/
PRINCE2 certifications are recognized globally and often preferred by the Government organizations. PRINCE2 has two levels: Foundation Level and Practitioners Level.
PRINCE2 Foundation Level
· There are no pre-requisite to sit for PRINCE2 Foundation Level exam.
PRINCE2 Practitioner Level
· In order to sit for PRINCE2 Practitioner exam, you must have already completed PRINCE2 Foundation / PMP / CAPM / IPMA certification.
Details about PRINCE2 are available at AXELOS website: https://www.axelos.com/
3. CPM – CERTIFIED PROJECT MANAGER
CPM certification is administered by IPMA. CPM is Level C certification and is one of the four levels awarded by IPMA.
The candidate needs to have a minimum of three years’ experience as a project manager within projects of moderate complexity, or a minimum of three years’ experience in a responsible project management role assisting the project manager in complex projects.
Details about CPM credential are available in IPMA website: https://www.ipma.world/
4. ChPP – CHARTERED PROJECT PROFESSIONAL
ChPP credential is administered and awarded by APM – the chartered body for project management. Holding ChPP designation demonstrates attainment of a defined level of technical knowledge, professional practice and ethical behaviour.
ChPP is for anyone that meets the following criteria:
· having a proven track record delivering projects, programmes, portfolios or a key control or enabling function
· having up-to-date knowledge of current practices and methods
· being actively involved in the project profession.
Details about ChPP are available in APM website: https://www.apm.org.uk/
5. CPMA – CERTIFIED PROJECT MANAGEMENT ANALYST
CPMA designation is administered and awarded by IQN – the global body for professional certifications. IQN has certified over 10,000 individuals in different domains, including project management. CPMA certification is recognized under the SCQF, which is a national qualifications framework in the UK. CPMA is benchmarked against the European Qualifications Framework (EQF) while it is becoming increasingly popular project management credential in the Middle East, South East Asia and the Americas. You can sit for the CPMA exam, if you meet any one of the following two entry routes:
Entry Route A
· HND/ Associate Degree/ Bachelor Degree/ IQN Diploma/ Equivalent
· 1-Year work experience (in any field)
Entry Route B
· High School Diploma/ GCSE/ global equivalent school-level certificate
· 2-Year work experience (in any field)
Details about CPMA designation are available in IQN website: https://www.iqnglobal.com