Khichdi is a simple, healthy and famous Indian Meal. It is simple and get cooked under 30 minutes. The Khichdi is made with rice, moong dal, spices. It is protein packed food, super comfortable that you are going to love it. Khichdi is famous in Indian Cuisine, because it is vegetarian, inexpensive and provide the protein, nutrients in one meal.
• WHAT IS KHICHDI?
Khichdi is a healthy and simple dish made with rice, moong dal and lentils. Also the various small ingredients like ghee, cumin seeds [Jeera], ginger-garlic, asafetida [Hing], spices, turmeric, and salt.
This food is simple and many people used to give to their baby’s as first food and to the people who feels sick can also eat as taste bland.
The Khichdi can also consumed as a regular food or by the people who diet can also eat this as a healthy diet food.
The name ‘khichdi’ is derived from Sanskrit term “khicca” meaning a dish of rice and lentils. It is known by various names like khichri, kichuri, khichadi. The moong dal is the most commonly used in “Khichdi”.
According to Ayurveda, moong dal is Tridoshic in nature and can balance all the 3 doshas of our body –Vata, Pitta, Kapha. This is a superfood that can balanced any kind of disturbance in the body.
So, the khichdi is a staple in Ayurveda and Yogic diet. And reccommened to people with sluggish digestive system as this helps to cleanse our entire system.
To make this recipe you need any kind of rice, moong dal, basic spices including fresh ginger and ghee or oil.
HOW TO MAKE KHICHDI [STEPWISE]
1. Rinse ½ cup rice, ½ cup moong dal in a pot separately.
2. Soak them until the onions, tomatoes are chopped.
3. Here are the ingredients that we need to prepare basic khichdi.
• 1 small size onion –finely chopped.
• 1 medium size –finely chopped.
• 1 green chilli –finely chopped.
• 1 teaspoon grated ginger-garlic.
• You can also add veggies like carrots, potatoes, peas, and beans.
4. Heat a pressure cooker with 1½ to 2 tablespoon ghee. Even you can use oil as substitute to ghee.
5. Add ¾ teaspoon cumin seeds [jeera] and 1 bay leaf [optional]. Saute for 30-40 minutes.
6. Then add 1 pinch of Asafoetida [hing].
7. Add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic and saute for a minute.
8. Add chopped onions and green chilli in it. Saute them until onions turns golden.
9. Then add chopped tomatoes, add turmeric, salt as per your need.
10. Saute until tomatoes turn mushy. If you are adding vegetables, add in this step and saute for 2-3 minutes.
11. Drain the dal completely and add here. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
12. Then drain the water from rice and add in it.
13. Pour 4 cups of water or add as per your consistency. If you want mushy texture then add 3 cups. It has tobe slightly salty.
14. PRESSURE COOKER
Cover the pressure cooker, and cook on a medium flame. Cooked for 4 whistle to get soup consistency. If you want grainy consistency, 2 whistles would be enough.
15. Transfer to a serving bowl and add a tsp of ghee on a top. Serve with pickle, papad, or lassi.