It is not necessary that all love stories end at a happy note and so are our Bollywood films!
Everyone likes happy endings where the two people in love finally meet and have a happy ever after. But we forget that life is not always sugary and sweet. We do not always get what we desire, we do not always get to be with the ones we love. And showing the same concept, some very amazing movies have been made in Bollywood. These Bollywood films speak about how even an unrequited love can be beautiful.
So here are 9 Bollywood films that capture the beauty of unrequited love very gracefully:
1. Ae Dil Hai Mushkil: The list has to start with Karan Johar’s Ae Dil Hai Mushkil as it touched millions of hearts and left many in tears. And the add on to the film were its soulful songs like the title song and Channa Mereya.
2. Cocktail: The ones who show that they don’t need love and are very happy without a companion, are actually the ones who need it the most. The same thing happens with Deepika Padukone in the film. But she ends up losing it to someone else.
3. Raanjhanaa: A story about an unconditional love, Dhanush and Sonam Kapoor look beautiful together in the film. But it could not last into being more than a friendship. While Zoya falls in love with someone, Sundar sacrifices his love for Zoya to be happy.
4. 1. Barfi: A beautiful love story of a deaf and mute boy and an autistic girl, Barfi also leaves someone heartbroken. Shruti (Ileana D’Cruz), who loves Barfi (Ranbir Kapoor), helps him in re-uniting with Jhilmil (Priyanka Chopra) as she knows that the two of them love each other too much.
5. Saawariya: Ranbir Kapoor in the role of Raj tells us how love is all about seeing the other person happy. Although he loves Sakina (Sonam Kapoor), he lets her go and be with Imaan (Salman Khan) as he knows she would be truly happy with him only.
6. Devdas: The film tells the story of three people who could not be with the love of their lives. Devdas (Shah Rukh Khan) and Paro (Aishwarya Rai Bachchan) love each other, but Paro gets married to someone else. On the other hand Chandramukhi (Madhuri Dixit) falls in love with Dev Babu. But none of them end up being together.
7. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai: Yes, we know that finally Anjali (Kajol) and Rahul (Shah Rukh Khan) re-unite at the end of the film. But what about Aman (Salman Khan) who loved Anjali so deeply? His love remained unrequited.
8. Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam: Although Vanraj (Ajay Devgn) loves his wife Nandini (Aishwarya Rai Bachchan), he helps her in finding Sameer (Salman Khan), whom she loves. But in the journey of finding Sameer, Nandini falls in love with her husband. So, even though at the end of the film two people, who are in love, get together, still it leaves Sameer heartbroken.
9. Dil Toh Pagal Hai: Although Rahul (Shah Rukh Khan) and Pooja (Madhuri Dixit) unite at the end of the story making it a fairytale end, the film still leaves two people heartbroken. Ajay (Akshay Kumar) and Nisha (Karisma Kapoor) do not get to be with the ones they love.