Today it locks 8 years of the incredible film ‘Kai Po Che’ which features three main roles performed by Sushant Singh Rajput, Rajkummar Rao, and Amit Sadh. And Amrita Puri as a leading lady.
The plot of the film runs behind the story of three best friends Ishaan Bhatt (SSR), Omkar Shastri (Amit), and Govind Patel (Rajkumaar), who are trying to chase their dreams in the arrival of the new millennium. Their dream is to start their own sports shop and sports academy. Their innocence and strong bond of friendship which came out naturally were really commendable, the film was appreciated a log in India but received mixed reviews overseas.
Let’s look into the interesting facts of Kai Po Che! which might we didn’t know before:
• Sushant Singh Rajput, who was a debutant through this film has fully worked hard for his debut Hindi film. The actor had to intensely undergo four months of cricket training under two coaches.
• And the Board of Control for Cricket in India immediately granted permission to use their footage of a historic India-Australia Kolkata (2001) test match for the film, to director Abhishek Kapoor.
• You know? Kai Po Che was released in the theatres without making any cuts received a ‘U’ certificate from the Censor Board.
• And the interesting one, before being co-stars in Chhichhore (2019)Tahir Raj Bhasin and Sushant were together in Kai Po Che! Yes, you read that right! Tahir was part of this film and everyone who has watched the film might recall the character of a small kid, Ali Hashmi. He is guided by Sushant, who nurtures his cricketing skills. Towards the end of the film, the adult version of Ali is shown and it’s played by none other than Tahir.
• The Film which is an adaption from the writer Chetan Bhagat’s book ‘The 3 Mistakes Of My Life’, he first revealed its title, and then the short contest was announced by him on Twitter to create awareness about the film and its title.
• The movie got a world premiere at the 63rd Berlin International Film Festival on 13 February 2013 and this became the first-ever Indian film to feature in the World Panorama section.
And even Sushant Singh Rajput was to host a private screening of Kai Po Che! In his hometown of Patna for his childhood friends.
• Kai Po Che! received six Filmfare nominations at the 59th Filmfare Awards where Sushant Singh Rajput was nominated in the Best Debut category.
• And a huge achievement for the team of the film, as it was made on a budget of ’25 crores and had earned ’92 crores at the Box Office.
At a time when the trend of sports films was subsiding, Kai Po Che! Left a huge mark on Indian cinema. After this film, several other sports dramas were made in Bollywood. The film was a hit at the box office as it earned a whopping ’92 crores and in a way, catapulted the careers of both Sushant Singh Rajput and Rajkummar Rao.
Happy 8 years!