MUMBAI: With the danger of a third wave approaching, the state government on Wednesday restricted physical darshan by fans at Ganpati mandaps across the state. Darshan for the celebration beginning Friday should be just on the web or broadcast through electronic media, said the state’s rules. On Tuesday, the BMC had given a comparable request.
Prior, the Union wellbeing secretary had kept in touch with the state government, requesting it to think about the inconvenience from nearby limitations during the happy season. Other than these limitations, a RTPCR negative test report has been made an unquestionable requirement for those heading out to the locale of Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg, aside from the individuals who are completely inoculated and those under 18. These locale have restricted medical care offices and a high energy rate.
Opinion is divided among organisers about the curbs. “The ban has been declared just two days before the festival. The government has allowed trains and political processions. They should at least have allowed locals to come for darshan,” said Swapnil Parab from the Mumbaicha Raja mandal.
Other organisers said they were expecting the ban since similar restrictions were imposed last year during the pandemic. “We were not planning physical darshan in any case. We have a tie-up with Geo TV and one website to telecast darshan and aarti,” said R Bhat from the GSB Seva Mandal, Kings Circle. “Last year, we had 1.3 crore views during the festival,” he said.